** NEW from November, 1 day workshops on: ‘Taking Charge of your Life after cancer treatment’ ‘Returning to Work after cancer’ Scroll down for details and contact Eileen Clews on 0121 643 1638 to book a place**
In partnership with Macmillan, Relate are offering free relationship counselling to anyone affected by or living with cancer. This begins in July 2016 and will be initially offered from our Relate centres in Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
Cancer and its treatment can have a big impact on your relationships with your partner, family, and on your sexual relationship too. We can help with issues such as:
- how to talk to your friends and family about what is happening to you
- changes and problems with relationships because one of you has cancer
- difficulties talking to and supporting each other
- problems talking to children, or parents and other relatives about cancer
- challenges in getting ‘back to normal’, as a couple or family, when cancer treatment is
- the impact on intimacy and sex life resulting from surgery, treatment, altered body image, tiredness or anxiety.
If you or a family member are living with or are recovering from cancer, or you are caring for someone with cancer, and would like to meet a counsellor you can ring Relate Birmingham directly on 0121 643 1638 and ask for the Macmillan service. You can also be referred by your cancer nurse, doctor or your GP.
For further information download the Relate Macmillan Service leaflet
Relate Macmillan Referral Form (for NHS/Macmillan professionals only)
One Day Macmillan Relate Workshops
‘Taking Charge of Your Life after cancer treatment’ This workshop provides the opportunity to gain confidence and take control of your life after cancer treatment. Offers strategies for managing change and moving forward. Who is it for? Open to people who have finished or are coming to the end of their cancer treatment.
- Coping with change
- Building confidence and self-esteem
- Defining a new you
- Managing stress
- Setting small goals
Dates and venues:
Dates are arranged throughout the year.The next workshop is:
Birmingham City Centre – Friday 16th November 2018 10am – 3pm To book a place contact Eileen Clews on 0121 643 1638
‘Returning to Work after cancer’ This workshop provides the opportunity to plan your return to work and gain an understanding of your rights and options. A chance to consider the conversations you will have and develop your communication skills.
Who is it for? For people who have finished or are coming to the end of their cancer treatment and are planning to return to work, either soon or at some point in the future.
- Identifying your hopes and fears
- Your job and you
- How your employer can help
- Managing your emotions
- Communication and strategies for problem solving
Dates and venues:
Dates are arranged throughout the year.
To find out more or register your interest contact Eileen Clews at Birmingham Relate on 0121 643 1638